Saturday, May 17, 2014

Tomato and Broccoli Tart

With Summer approaching my mind and my recipes start shifting to the garden and what I will have on hand growing right in my own back yard, along with our family share from a local organic food cooperative. Come on Summer... I'm waiting to give you a big ol hug!!!!



This is a lovely light meal or appetizer for a summer brunch, lunch or dinner. I serve mine with a side salad or cup of soup on a chillier day. 
I skip the step of making my own pie crust.... Because.. Well..it's just easier. I have a link for the one I like at the bottom of the recipe ( it does contain a small amount of organic evaporated cane juice so if you need to eliminate that completely you will have to find another brand or make your own shell). 


Ingredients: 
1 frozen GF,DF pre-made pie shell ( thawed per directions on package) 
1 egg beaten 
4/5 Plum Tomatoes, cored,seeds removed, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 1/2 Cup cooked Broccoli, drained and all excess water pressed out
1/2 Cup Fresh Basil, chiffoned ( plus 2 leaves for garnish) 
3 Cloves minced garlic
1 Cup Mayonaise 
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt 
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees 
Place uncooked, thawed pie shell on a cookie sheet 
Brush inside shell with the beaten egg 
Create a collar using foil to protect the crust from over browning
Bake for 8 mins then remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the filling

In a small bowl combine the Mayonaise, Garlic, Salt and Pepper. Place 1 Tablespoon of the mayo mixture in the prepared pie shell and spread across the bottom and up the sides.
Next layer the Tomatoes and Broccoli, alternating, until the shell is filled just to the bottom of the inner line on the crust. 
Layer the basil on top of the tomatoes and broccoli. 
Spread the remaining Mayo mixture over the top of the basil covering the entire top ( I usually drop the whole amount in the center and work towards the outside to make it easier). 

Bake for 35 mins or until top begins to brown and bubble. Carefully remove the foil collar for the last minute of baking to brown the crust slightly. 
 
Let stand for 5 mins before serving. Garnish with the two basil leaves in the center or the tart.



I had a scrumptious picture of this tart on my camera...which decided to eat the picture...and by the time I figured that out, my family had eaten the entire tart.. So, just take my word for it, it is yummy looking too!

Wholly Wholesome Pie Shell: 
http://whollywholesome.com/ourproducts-gluten-free.php

No comments:

Post a Comment